Buckden Palace was a house of the middle ages diocesans of Lincoln, permitting a midway break on the journey from London to their basilica city. This Episcopal royal residence was entirely rebuilt in brick by Thomas Rotherham, that became bishop in 1472. After his transfer to York in 1480, it was completed by Diocesan Russell.
The dominant function is a tower designed on the excellent brick tower at Tattershall Castle. Buckden’s tower house is oval in plan with octagonal corner turrets climbing over parapet level. Nonetheless, it is much less enthusiastic in scale and does not have the machicolated crown, which offers Tattershall such difference.
The broad chimneybreast is a famous and completely domestic function. Another obvious weak point is the tower’s distance to the steeple of the parish church. They are separated only by the width of the previous moat. This is typical of the castellated manors of the later Middle Ages and also shows that the contractor was a lot more curious about condition compared to protection, though such towers should have had some worth as refuge in the event of regional threat.
The tower home could serve as a self-contained home however the palace buildings were far more considerable. The internal courtyard had a lush suite of property buildings as well as it is an empathy they have all vanished. It is uncommon to find a yard of this age, which is not quadrangular, so the design was most likely determined by an older moated room.
As well as the tower home, the inner courtyard protects its diapered entrance tower, with a variety of ancillary structures attached and the size of wall surface linking the lodge to the tower residence. This wall surface is punctured by arrow-slits yet is as well slim for a genuine drape – the wall-walk is carried on a row of arches. Much of the precinct wall endures, along with an external gate giving access from the High Road.